Sunday, October 21, 2007

Bloody Lemon Trees...

Something has been eating my Lemon tree. Whole branches are missing. Bloody wallabies. I have the most terrible luck with lemon trees. I am a keen gardener and I can successfully grow most things. Except Bloody Lemon Trees.* sigh* My mum gave me my first lemon tree about fifteen years ago. Visions of lemonade, lemon cheesecake and lemon butter all floated through my mind. Knowing that lemon trees are frost tender when they are young. I planted this tree in a sheltered spot in the garden and hoped for the best. I conceded defeat about three years later. A combination of summer drought, severe winter frosts and horrible green beetles, killed that lemon tree..*sigh*.

I tried again with a different variety of lemon, in a different spot. The outcome was the same. The conditions up here are just too harsh for some plants. Obviously Lemons are the sooks of the plant world, *SIGH*

Thoughts of lemonade, lemon cheesecake and lemon butter filled my head once again. I have bought yet another Lemon tree. I am hoping that this will be third time lucky. This Lemon tree wont be a sook. this Lemon tree will be brave and strong and fruitful. This Lemon tree will survive. This Lemon tree must be tasty because something has eaten it. Whole branches are missing, other branches are well nibbled.Bloody Wallabies!!!!

I have moved the Lemon tree onto the verandah, so I can protect it from being nibbled to death. Fingers well crossed, I hope this tree will recover. *sigh*

3 comments:

Veronica Foale said...

But but but the lemonade....

Damn wallabies!

Maybe we should eat the lemon seasoned wallabies?

Maude Lynn said...

Awww, poor lemon tree!

frog ponds rock... said...

Yes indeed poor poor lemon tree..
Veronica, there were deer tracks right next to where the Lemon tree had been nibbled...mmmm interesting