Sunday, November 25, 2007

Potato Salad From Hell......

Considering that it is 'exackerly' one month til Christmas Day, I feel like sharing recipes. I especially feel like sharing recipes for 'festive food'. Food that I really can't be bothered making except for Christmas, Birthdays and when I feel like doing some Proper Cooking..( or when my family has begged enough..muuawhahah)

So here is the recipe for a really nice Potato Salad. I call it the potato salad from Hell because it takes ages to make...and I make a hell of a mess in the kitchen preparing it...

2 kilos of potatoes
half a cup of olive oil.
2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
6 rashers of bacon
1 cup of finely diced celery
1 cup of finely diced red onoion
2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
2 thirds of a cup of mayonaisse
2 thirds of a cup of sour cream
half a cup of chopped parsley
half a cup of chopped mint
half a cup of chopped chives
4 hardboiled eggs sliced

Boil the potatoes until just tender, but firm.. Drain and set aside to cool.
Slice bacon into fine strips, saute, then drain off excess fat.
In a large bowl whisk the oil,vinegar, salt and pepper
Add the potatoes (peeled and chopped into bite -size chunks) to the oil mix.
Turn gently, to coat thoroughly with oil.
When the potatoes are cool, Add the celery and onion.
In a small bowl whisk together the mustard, mayo& sour cream.
Add the herbs,(mint, parsley& chives) to the creamy mix.
Add this to the potatoes with most of the egg and bacon.
Carefully fold the potato salad to combine all ingredients.
Use the last of the egg & bacon as a garnish.

I have copied this recipe out exactly as it was given to me..
and it is really yummy as is.
But I change things to suit myself sooo. It is a really flexible thingy.

I add small cubes of cheese or grated parmesan depending on what is in the fridge or how I am feeling. I also now add diced red capsicum for a bit of colour.

This is a really Yummy potato Salad even though it is a bit fiddly to make.
If you want to make this and have any questions I will answer them in the comments.
No Probs at all.
Cheers Kim

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the exact same salad I make for Christmas!!! The herbs are a bitch but it is to die for!

Lightening posted an old muffin recipe I used to make this week.

This is kinda freaking me out. Perhaps you lot are REALLY stalking me!

Veronica Foale said...

It is the yummiest recipe. Are you making it for Xmas?

frog ponds rock... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

sounds yummy..

Anonymous said...

If you want the potatoes to cool and not get any more cooked you can plunge them into a bowl of iced water - just a thought.

Sounds good to me though.

cheers

frog ponds rock... said...

Kelley: I am only sort of stalking you.hehe

Von. You asked me to make it, So I suppose I have to.. *sigh*

Taz. It is very very yummy.

Maddy. Thanks, I hadn't thought about ice. cheers

Scribbit said...

LOVE potato salad so this is exciting--

And that echidna? Amazingly cool. I'd trade the moose in my yard for that any day.

Anonymous said...

Yummy!
My mum makes great potato salad too.

BenefitScroungingScum said...

That sounds like the yummiest potato salad! I miss cooking, I need to get a man just so I can cook again (I need someone to do all the chopping and lifting, ok all the crappy parts lol) BG

Anonymous said...

how about you cook it and i eat it???? LOL. Sounds yummy, but WAY too much effort for this little black duck!